Thursday, March 3, 2016

Custom Galactus

When I saw the 31" Jakks Pacific Darth Vader I immediately thought that it would make a great base for a custom Galactus.  It was gigantic and the arms and legs were close enough to a Galactus design that I wouldn't have to modify them except for some coats of paint.

So I bought one when they went on sale and it has been collecting dust and I kindof forgot about the project.  However this custom contest put on by TNI gave me a good reason to dust it off and try my project.

I started by modeling the head in sketchup.  I found a face on the warehouse and built up the helmet around it.  I then divided it into 5 pieces so that it would print flat on a 3D printer bed.  I printed it up (in neon green of all colors) and glued it together.




I also printed a neck piece for connecting to vader's body.  This took a few trys to get the height just right.

Next up I worked on the chest.  I wanted a working light in it so I just a laser cutter to cut a hole in vader's chest.


I then designed a led light housing in sketchup, printed it out, and added the LED light.  The lens were laser cut and stacked to add detail to the chest light.






I then fitted it into the body and made the shoulder straps and waist coat out of chip board.

I painted him up and here are the final results:






Here he is with Marvel Select Silver Surfer:




To show a sense of scale.  The figure is 36" tall.

2 comments:

  1. Would you ever consider selling the Galactus? It's absolutely awesome! I wish I had it in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever want to sell Galactus, let me know. I have the best collection ever on him and I would be honored to buy this or have you make me one for a few.

    ReplyDelete